A: Many saddle makers now offer a longer strap on the off side called a "double off" or "half breed latigo" strap instead of a traditional off billet. The idea is that this strap be doubled up for better reinforcement and strength over time than the off billet.
Here are some steps to help the new user rig the off side with a half breed latigo:
- Put one end of the strap through the cinch ring until the ring is in the middle of the strap. The strap should be folded in two with the ends together and the cinch ring at the middle.
- Run the two loose ends through the dee ring on the right side of the saddle
- Bring the ends back around and run them back through the cinch ring again.
- Put the metal prong from the cinch through both layers of holes in the strap
- Then tuck the extra ends into the latigo keeper strap on the underside of the mohair cinch.
|Step 1 - Secure the cinch|
|Step 2 - Feed off billet through rigging|
|Step 3 - Make the second loop|
|Step 4 - Secure cinch with buckle|
|Step 5 - Use retaining strap for excess length|